What should I do if I or a loved one are experiencing memory loss that is impairing normal daily living?

A: Visit your Primary Care Physician (PCP) or Internist for a check up. He or she may refer you to a Neurologist or Geriatric Nurse Practitioner. Be very honest with these professionals as they seek to discover the causes. It could be a reversible dementia caused by an infection or nutrient deficiency. It may be very challenging to visit a medical provider, but it can really help you in the long run. You can always get a second opinion. If you have symptoms of probable dementia, keep a physician who will care for you medically, but also connect you with support and programs in the community such as support groups.

What types of services do you offer?

  • Personal Dementia care consulting (face to face, phone/text, email)
  • Home safety and optimizing the care environment for dementia
  • Group/Employer presentations on dementia
  • TimeSlips Storytelling activity for Persons with dementia (private and public)
  • Care Partner Support Groups (private and public)
  • Emergency preparedness

What is your education and experience? How can I trust you?

A: I have been involved in aging education since 2006 and in aging services since 2008. I currently facilitate a Care Partner Support Group for my local council on aging and provide training for an additional council on aging. While not my “terminal degree,” I completed coursework for a Graduate Certificate in Gerontology (aging) and am near completion of a Masters in Gerontology. Please see About me for more details. Like any other service, you should shop around and partner with a dementia consultant with the experience and accessibility.

Why do you not provide medical advice?

A: I am not a medical provider such as a doctor, nurse practitioner, or nurse. I will, however, review their comments and advice that you share. I can also offer questions to ask your medical provider as well as the latest research findings to share with them. I am happy to speak to your medical provider if requested. My goal is to complement their care for you and your loved one.

Do you provide therapy?

A: My services are not considered therapy, although my services do assist with coping and finding peace.

Do Social Workers provide your services already?

A: Some Social Workers are very experienced in dementia care and have time to offer some services. If an assigned social worker (from a hospital, home health, hospice, etc) has these skills, appreciate and utilize them. I can sometimes complement their assistance.

Do you accept insurance?

A: At this time I do not accept insurance. The good news is that there are no required “prior authorizations,” paperwork, or unexpected bills.

Can I just get your information from books?

A: I encourage all of my clients to read books and recommend some I have enjoyed. Because being a Care Partner for someone with dementia is so time consuming, I read books, examine “peer-reviewed” journal on the latest research, and attend conferences so that you do not need to. I can then offer the practical information to help you create Peace with Dementia. Please email me for a list of recommended books.

Where can I find free information?

Please “like” my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CarePartnerMentoring for tips.

Contact us


504.339.1757 Phone/Text

Share this